www.www.buonovino.com

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptionsDigestDigest PreferencesFAQFAQSearchSearchMemberlistMemberlistUsergroupsUsergroupsRegisterRegisterFAQ安全提示FAQDonate
ProfileProfileLog in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messagesLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Doubt on End Extension of Rebars (12 times dia or d)

Post new topicReply to topicThank Post www.www.buonovino.com Forum Index->SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic::View next topic
vineetha_palankar
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:10 pmPost subject: Doubt on End Extension of Rebars (12 times dia or d) Reply with quote

Hello All,

I Have a doubt regarding the End extension of rebars. SP34 states that it must be max of 12 times diameter or d as shown in figure below .

I have 2 cases in which I am finding difficulty to incorporate this clause ,

1.If a beam is 650mm deep for a span of 5000mm , and if I am using 12 dia rebars then (12*12= 144, d = 614mm & Ld of 12 dia for M30 = 552mm). The extension of bars beyond the theoretical cut-off point shall be 614mm =d , but I feel Ld is sufficient.

2.Similarly for Raft Foundations where d is say 2000mm, in such cases the extension of rebars can be Ld instead of d, as Ld is max 1472mm for 32 dia rebar but providing d instead of Ld seems unreasonable.

Request all to share your opinion and Guide me If am wrong.

Regards,
Vineetha
vikram.jeet
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

帖子:3698

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:55 pmPost subject: Reply with quote

As per IS 456 ,, location at which a rebar is not required,, the reinf shall be extended either 12d Or deff,,
Hence this must be adhered.

Earlier version of IS 456 ,, before 1978 ,, only 12d extension was there,, but d extension was added in 1978 version,, since theoretical cutoff pt as worked out needs safety envelop. This has to be adhered without any if or but.

Only at simply supported members ,, the extension of + ve moment rebar into support must be Ld/3.
rahul.leslie
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:39 amPost subject: Reply with quote

Does this thread cover the case of requiring Ld+10d for detailing seismic structures?
vikram.jeet
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

帖子:3698

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:59 pmPost subject: Reply with quote

rahul.leslie wrote:
Does this thread cover the case of requiring Ld+10d for detailing seismic structures?

EQ Ductility provisions may require this at support locations,, but for other locations ,, ithink,the guidelines of continuing bars may cover this aspect under EQ conditions ,, But if cutoff is done as per BM diagram in EQ case,, then (12d+10d) or (Deff+10d) whichever higher,,can be taken .. Idea is that steel reaches Yield pt, and structure undergoes displacements at nearly same stress and and extra 10 d margin to address ductility range stress (O.87fy to fy) in form of 10d extra in bar extension,, can take care care.
Post new topicReply to topicThank Post www.www.buonovino.com Forum Index->SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page1of1

Jump to:
Youcannotpost new topics in this forum
Youcannotreply to topics in this forum
Youcannotedit your posts in this forum
Youcannotdelete your posts in this forum
Youcannotvote in polls in this forum
Youcannotattach files in this forum
Youcandownload files in this forum

© 2003, 2008 SEFINDIA,Indian Domain Registration
Publishing or acceptance of an advertisement is neither a guarantee nor endorsement of the advertiser's product or service.advertisement policy
Baidu
map